Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday: Roadside Market

Outdoor Wednesday is hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. To see many, many more outdoor photos or to post some of your own, please visit her blog.

Next week, M and I will be heading off for our annual trek to the beach at Rehoboth, Delaware. Our wedding anniversary comes right at the end of August, and it's become one of our rituals to spend it in Rehoboth. And while the ocean and the beach and the community itself are the main attractions, of course, another nice part of the trip is all the little roadside farmers' markets we pass going and coming. There are still plenty of small farms in that part of the country, and the roads are lined with miles and miles of cornfields – usually turning a bit brown by the end of summer. And even though I'm a city girl at heart, I've always had this strange desire to wander around in a field of corn with stalks right up over my head. Think Field of Dreams, or Cary Grant running from the crop duster in North by Northwest. A nice thick forest of corn. Yes, Doctor Freud – we probably should talk about my neuroses some other time.

We usually stop at one of the bigger markets on our way home from the beach visit, and pick up lots of those gorgeous huge tomatoes and peaches and nectarines and blueberries and whatever else looks yummy. Hmmmm. Reminds me I haven't had breakfast yet! So, here's a shot from last year's trip.

And no, those birds sitting on the tomatoes aren't real. At least, I don't think they are.

(Click on photo to enlarge.)

11 comments:

  1. Farm markets are so fun. We have a large one in the northern part of our county that reminds me much of what you show here.

    Have a happy Wednesday!

    Becky K.
    Hospitality Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip coming up. I too like attending markets. Trust you will have a good, safe trip. And best wishes on your upcoming anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots of the market...I love these...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting large Farmer's markets.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Rehoboth Beach all my life, but I've never been there.

    Now beefsteak tomatoes I've experienced! And how I long for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a fabulous time at the beach.
    I love the farmers market photo. We love to hit our small farmers market every summer as many times as possible.
    Have a fabulous Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love farmer's markets and road side vegetable stands. I hope you enjoy your holiday and your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love outdoor markets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joy, Hope you two have a wonderful beach vacation --and Happy Anniversary!!!!

    I too am a 'city' gal--although was raised in a small town. When my hubby took me up through Ohio (on our way to Niagara Falls in 2002), I was in awe of all of the cornfields and small roadside markets. NEAT!!!!

    Enjoy!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just looks like a wonderful place! Wish I could go there.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!