Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Little Ramble on New Year's Eve


M and I have been having a running argument about whether or not this is the last day of the decade. He says it's not - that next year is actually the last year of the 2000s because by rights the new century started in 2001. Of course, this is just a continuation of the argument we had all during 1999, about the beginning of the 21st Century.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the new decade starts with 2010, but however you slice it up, this century is moving along at an amazingly rapid clip, isn't it? And from a personal standpoint, it's definitely had its ups and downs. My mother and M's father both died in 2001, and M's 85-year-old mother is still recovering from a fall she had a year or so ago. But overall, I think the decade has been a pretty good one for us. The economic crisis that wiped out so many others hasn't been too hard on us. And although we've had a few health scares over the years, we seem to be doing pretty well at the moment.

2009 has been pretty smooth, but 2010 is shaping up to be a little more chaotic in our household. M will be retiring at the end of the year, and when that happens we'll most likely be moving back to the land of our ancestors. No, not England or Wales or France or Germany - just back to Texas, ya'll. Don't really know exactly where in the Lone Star State we'll end up - we've got several spots in mind. But wherever we settle, the move will be pretty momentous.

We've lived here in Virginia for just about twenty-five years now, and in this same apartment for twenty. Getting out of here is going to take a massive amount of planning, packing, and clearing out. It's going to be a year-long task, and not one I'm really looking forward to. I'm hoping that at some point during the year they'll announce that they've perfected the transporter and made it available for public use. Then we can just beam ourselves and all our stuff up and out of Virginia, and set everything down deep in the heart of Texas! Please tell me they're working on that technology right now!

OK, I guess that's enough pointless rambling for now. All I really wanted to say was Happy New Year, everybody.

Happy New Year, everybody!

2 comments:

  1. The decade problem is really debatable for sure. Both George and I say that 2010 begins the next decade--but who knows really!!???

    SO--you may move to Texas in 2010??? I lived in Texas (near Houston) for 12 yrs. My favorite area in Texas is around the "Hill Country" --specifically around Brenham or Chapel Hill... GORGEOUS area of Texas --and on north toward Austin..

    I despised the Houston area (too many people, too much concrete, too many storms) and wouldn't recommend the Dallas area or the northern area (too much ICE).... WELL--wherever you go, I hope you LOVE it. 2010 will be a momentous year for you it seems.

    Happy New Year, Joy.
    Hugs,
    Betsy
    P.S. Do you say Twenty Ten or Two Thousand Ten???? Another debate. I like Twenty Ten...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, one more year in Virginia and then home again, home again jiggety jig. Of course, I know Austin will win out -- Austin ALWAYS wins out -- but if you want to come to Fort Worth we would love to have you. Allen keeps threatening to retire to College Station and I keep campaigning for Fredericksburg but with N and K and Bean here, I doubt we will venture too far away. I would suggest you start packing now -- the year will fly by and you don't want a panic at the last minute so ... get on with it and we can't wait to have you home.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!