Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday: Lighting Up


Outdoor Wednesday is hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. To see many, many more outdoor photos or to post some of your own, please visit her blog.

I'm not sure if it's the recession or what, but the Christmas decorations around our neighborhood seem to be a little sparse this year. A depressing sort of Grinchy-ness has set in. In our apartment building, we're the only ones in our "tier" with lights on the balcony. But at least they make us easy to pick out. (Click on photos to enlarge. Sorry these are a little blurry - they were taken with the camera in M's phone.)


However, one holiday lighting tradition is being upheld. One of the buildings nearby has done this every Christmas for at least the past twenty years. The lights that make up the tree extend over about eight or nine storeys, which means that a lot of residents have to agree to get involved. And here in condo canyon, that kind of dedication is a real demonstration of neighborliness!



8 comments:

  1. What a great way to celebrate...kudos to you and your thoughtful neighbors!!! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, the same here...even in the city. It's a shame.


    My Wednesday issue is posted. Come see my lighted Christmas Village HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you put your lights out. We did just a small display out front with a few of our favorites, but we had good reasons.

    I noticed most of our neighbors have decorated their yards, but found it odd that three blocks away where the "rich" folks live, there are very, very few who did and it is usually beautifully lit. I believe it must be that us po' folk are used to lean times and know how to celebrate life anyway! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you put your lights out -- we are the grinches around here -- lots of lights except at out house -- I have one sad little jingly bell wreath. So sad. You look like you have a very large balcony -- that is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool photo of the tree and a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Condo Christmas tree -- those people really have the Christmas spirit. We've got more outdoor lights on our street than we did last year, but nothing is really elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to see what condo dwellers are doing (and not doing) to decorate for Christmas. Where I live there are only one story homes so it's fun to see another view. Love your name Joy, it's my middle name.

    Kathy b

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy you decided to celebrate and it is very easy to pick out your balcony. Hooray for you!! The other building is filled with people who BELIEVE!

    Happy holidays! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!