Thursday, December 30, 2010

Family Foto Friday

I was doing some family history work the other day (OK, not really "work" since I love to do it), and was surprised (more like horrified) when I realized that this year I'm the same age my grandmother was when I got married! How depressing is that?

Now admittedly, we were both very young brides. But, still. I guess that means I'm getting really, really old.

This is me on my wedding day with my MaMa (pronounced Maw-Maw). I know - what a yucky thing to call one's grandma. She was my mother's mother, and I was her first grandchild. And since my father's mother already had a raft of grandkids who called her Granny, Mamma's mom was stuck with MaMa. So I suppose I might be the culprit responsible for giving her that nickname. I'd like to think she chose it for herself, but who would do that?


Anyway. In this photo she's giving me a sixpence for my shoe (for good luck). She gave me a lace handkerchief to carry too, for my "something old." I think she did that for all the brides in the family. I've still got the hankie. I wonder if that sixpence is hiding somewhere around here, too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful picture and telling us something of your MaMa.
    I hope you and your family have a very healthy and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I gave my handkerchief to Brianna. What a wonderful picture -- most of the photos I have of MaMa were ones with my kids and she was, of course, much older. I think I see some of MaMa in Diana. I think you did name her, if I remember the story correctly. But I named YOU -- from JaJa to Joanie. I still am not used to this Joy business. I am stealing this photo from you -- 'K?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!