Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday Snapshot: Lost in the Mist

One of the wonderful things about living so close to Washington DC is the availability of all the great art you can see in its museums and galleries. We don't visit as often as we should, but I do love the National Gallery and always see something new and amazing when I'm there.

Here's a shot I took the last time we were at the Gallery -- an art lover deep in contemplation of a painting by Jackson Pollock. From 1950, its official designation is just Pollock, Number 1, but it's usually known as Lavender Mist. And the mist certainly had this young woman mesmerized.



Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books, and as she says: "To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online."

12 comments:

  1. I love that you didn't simply take a picture of the painting, but caught someone studying it.
    Here's My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice seeing someone being so caught up in a painting, and it's a great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't art museums great? There so much more to works of art when you see them up close rather than just a photo in a book. That piece is certainly very mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the museums in DC! I remember spending a lot of time in front of paintings like that - trying to figure out what in the world they were about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed looking at the photograph!

    Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting picture!
    my snapshot:
    http://ratherbarefoot.blogspot.com/2011/09/saturday-snapshot-of-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Art can be interpreted in so many different ways. I wonder what SHE's seeing it it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I see abstracts like this I wonder what the artist was thinking and end up staring like the woman in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the National Gallery when we visited back in 1986. I talked my parents (who are neither art fans or big readers) into touring the Gallery and the Library of Congress. Good times!

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/09/saturday-snapshot-september-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been to an art museum in a long time. I think it's time to go!
    Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful snapshot with a great title.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!