Tuesday, April 26, 2016

ABC Wednesday: Round 18 - P

And P is for...
Postcards!

I love to send/receive/collect postcards. Always have. I love old ones and new ones. I have boxes full of them, and several albums devoted to various subjects -- cities, artwork, holidays.

Older cards from all over
I think my favorites are the cards people used to have made from family photos:

In "Olden Times" families would send postcards with photos of the kids
Do these folks look happy about the picture-taking?

So, as a postcard fanatic, I was thrilled to find out about the Postcrossing website which makes it possible to, as they say:
send a postcard and receive a postcard back from a random person in the world!
And it works! Here are a few of the cards I've received from all over:

Happy family group from Finland
Catching snowflakes somewhere in the UK
Adorable kitten with amazing eyes
A handmade, personalized card from the USA

Once I signed up (for free), I received a random address from the website. Then I sent a postcard to that address, and waited (just a very short time) to receive a postcard from another random party somewhere in the world. OK, that's a very simplified explanation -- if you're interested, you can read all about the process in more depth on the Postcrossing home page.

If you're not going to be sending postcards for a while, you can let your account go "inactive" and then activate it when you're ready to participate again. I'm inactive at the moment, but I'm thinking of getting back into the game pretty soon.

(Note: I don't receive any compensation from Postcrossing for promoting their website. I just think it's lots of fun.)


To add your own ABC Wednesday link, 
visit the website, here:



8 comments:

  1. that sounds like fun -- going to check into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are lovely indeed..... one rarely gets them these days.... but sometimes i bye one, i like very much

    Have a nice abc-wednesday-day / – week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post cards here ~ great idea ~ love the vintage and the photo cards ~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have quite the collection - I have a friend in Oxford, England, who collects them too. It's an interesting hobby.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love postcards. I'm totally out of the habit of sending and receiving.

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very nice collection! The snow-catching child and the kitten are both adorable. I wish you good luck with this hobby!
    Wil, ABCWTeam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially like old cards that have something written on the back and the random nature of Postcrossing.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!