Sunday, January 1, 2017

First Monday of the Year

So, here we are in the New Year. No more 2016 to kick around and complain about. I'm expecting (well...hoping, anyway) that 2017 is going to be gentler, friendlier, and more productive. Yes, I suppose that could be too much to hope for. But at least it started off well with a really pretty day yesterday. Lots of blue sky.



We had a fairly quiet holiday season. Didn't do a great deal of celebrating, but we did get to see some old friends, received some lovely gifts, and ate a lot of goodies (especially loved these "tiny pies" at one gathering).


Didn't watch all the usual Christmas movies, but we managed to fit in a few of the main ones (It's a Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, White Christmas). And we finished several jigsaw puzzles — this year, they were all model train-related (with some touches of blue).





And we capped it all off on New Year's Day with the traditional black eyed peas and cornbread.



We still have all the Christmas decorations up — probably won't take them down until next weekend. And today is the hubby's birthday — so we'll still be celebrating for a while yet. Fun, but I think I'm just about ready for some normal life again.




Blue Monday was originally hosted by Smiling Sally.
Now that Sally has left us,
Jeanne at Backyard Neighbor is doing the honors.
To see more offerings, or to participate yourself,
please head on over to her blog.

Also linking up with Our World Tuesday



11 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a lovely time! So calm and collected. Love the puzzles! I did this Blue Monday meme a couple of times and it was fun -- maybe I should pick it back up. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Monday posts are always fun -- but for some reason I have a hard time coming up with something BLUE. I frequently just put up sky shots. Which isn't all that thrilling, but at least it means it's not raining!

      Delete
  2. Are you by change in Austin? We have a Tiny Pies here. '-)
    The puzzles are great! You've given my a great idea for a friend's Christmas present for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah! Yes, we live just west of Austin in Lago Vista, and the Tiny Pies were from one of the TPs there. They were a great (and delicious) discovery.

      I've always loved doing jigsaw puzzles, especially during the holidays -- we almost always have one going. And they do make wonderful gifts.

      Thanks for the visit. Happy New Year! And Happy Blue Monday!

      Delete
  3. Oh....I do love the train theme you had going with the puzzles!!! Such an enJOYable post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps....I see the Lone Star link above to some genealogy? I too am a fellow Texan.

      Delete
  4. Jigsaw puzzles look fantastic.I like view in first picture.It looks so cosy and peaceful. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings back memories of visiting friends on Christmas Day (after the tree and before the dinner) and we had a tradition of jigsaw puzzling, too. My friends are gone, but their children (now almost as old as I am) keep in touch with me. It's wonderful remembering Christmases past!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because Jeanne at Backyard Neighbor has no Internet for the foreseeable future, I invite you to post your “blues” at Blue Monday 2. Links only, no previews, but we’ll have a lot of fun until Jeanne can get back online. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve had trouble with the Blue Monday 2 blog. It is not accepting links. So, until Jeanne of Backyard Neighbor is able to return, please post your Blue Monday links at Magical Mystical Teacher each Monday. The first link is here:
    https://magicalmysticalteacher.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/blue-monday/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!