Saturday, March 31, 2018

Saturday 9: Easter Parade


The Saturday 9  is hosted by Sam Winters. Nine questions posted every Saturday — sometimes random, sometimes with a theme. This week, the theme is...


"Easter Parade"
("In Your Easter Bonnet")
from the 1948 movie

Listen to it HERE.

1. This song is about a special Easter hat to be worn with your "Sunday best." Will you be getting dressed up this weekend?
Not a chance. But I have a small collection of Easter hats from years ago when I did get dressed up for the day.
2. Judy Garland's partner in this movie was supposed to be Gene Kelly, but he was unavailable because he broke his ankle playing volleyball. Have you ever lost a big opportunity because of a medical issue?
Can't really think of anything. I remember I was really disappointed in first grade when I was supposed to be in a school play and then came down with measles before the performance. Not that that would have been such a "big opportunity," but it would have been my stage debut! And my grandmother was making a special full-length party dress for me to wear. It never got finished, I never wore it, and I'm getting all misty here just thinking about it.  

3. Garland later confessed that, at first, she would have preferred Kelly because she knew him well and was intimidated by Fred Astaire. By the end of filming, she found she enjoyed Astaire a great deal. Can you think of a friend with whom you had a rocky relationship at the beginning?
Hmmm. Not really. I guess if a relationship starts out rocky for me, the relationship doesn't go very far. 
4. This song was inspired by New York City's Easter Parade. Does your community host a similar event?
Not that I know of. We're a pretty small community and there are a lot of local churches which will all be having some sort of Easter activities, I'm sure. But I don't know of any planned civic celebration. 
5. The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you think it's possible to have too much chocolate?
I'm sort of getting Willy Wonka vibes here. Yeah, I guess one could have too much chocolate, theoretically. Fortunately, it's never happened to me. (I want all the chocolate I can get!)
6. Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. A 2013 poll tells us that red is by far the favorite jelly bean color, with yellow a distant second. Do you have a preference?
Licorice-flavored. After that, red (cherry).
7. We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?
Definitely Halloween. (My favorite holiday.) Every year, we buy Halloween candy just in case we have trick-or-treaters. We never have trick-or-treaters. Somebody has to eat all that candy, right?
8. Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?
A nice tall gin-and-tonic usually does the job pretty efficiently. I feel instantly rejuvenated. And then go right to sleep.
9.  This year, April Fool's Day happens to coincide with Easter Sunday. Do you expect to fall victim to any pranks this weekend?
Hopefully no pranks. But I'm sure I'll fall for some stupid joke or rip-off. I always do. I'm just way too gullible.


Happy Saturday, everyone!
Also Happy Easter, Happy Springtime and a Joyous Passover!
And have a great weekend.

For more Saturday 9 Q&A, just click on this button:


5 comments:

  1. You're the Saturday 9-er I"ve been looking for! I cannot stand the licorice jelly beans, and I figured there just had to be a yin to my yang somewhere out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope that I am April Fool's Day free this year. Enjoy yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 is me, I would make and excuse and walk away. But sweet persistence handed me a wonderful friend.
    We both like licorice jelly beans. The only one I like.
    #9. I'm gullible, too. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. We have never had a trick-or-treater, either, but I always buy candy "just in case" and yep, we eat it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!