Monday, June 28, 2010

Blue Monday: Green Spring Blues

Blue Monday is hosted weekly by Smiling Sally.
To see more offerings, or to participate yourself,
please head on over to her blog.

These are a few shots I took on a recent visit to Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria VA. It's a lovely small park in Fairfax County, with many different garden areas on display. Most of the plants are labeled, so that horticultural ignoramuses (such as moi) can easily tell a freesia from a dahlia. However, these blue ones weren't marked, so (except for the pansies) I'm not sure what they are. But I always like blue flowers, whatever they're called. (Click on images to enlarge.)

Blue and red blossoms along a dry creek bed running through the park.

These were growing in the rock garden area (I love rock gardens). If you look closely, you can see the little bumble bee in one of the flowers.

And the pansies were very pretty, even though they looked like they could use a large drink of water (spring has been a little dry this year).

11 comments:

  1. My thumb has never been green, Joy, so I can't help you with labeling these beautiful blue beauties. Hopefully, some blogger will assist.

    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Joy! How pretty. And I'm amazed that you still have pansies. Ours are long since departed with the heat.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely... and I really like the shot of the dry creek bed. Happy Blue Monday! ...Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the flowers that are labelled. I try to learn their names but then forget too soon.
    We are having a very wet start to summer. Hope I don't forget to water my flowers as a result. (on those dry mornings)

    http://dogsmom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would guess they were bachelor buttons...but it would just be a guess.

    Pretty.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that's a good-sized bubblebee. I love pansies - or in this case, it looks like they may be Johnny Jump-Ups or Violas (pansy family). Love 'em! Happy Blue Monday~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful flowers! Thanks for the visit...Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little scenes like this make my heart so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue flowers are not easy to find. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!