1. One of the best concerts/plays/movies I ever saw that I really didn't think I'd like was "Master and Commander."
2. My hubby’s grilled tuna with special salsa topping is a recipe I recently
3. It's time for a touchdown! Sorry – been watching too much football on TV.
4. This nice crisp October air is quite refreshing.
5. If I never hear the word retirement again, it'll be too soon.
6. To one side of the curving road was a Taco Bell, and on the other was a Dairy Queen. Hmmm. Sounds like I need a little snack, but I just had breakfast!
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to (well, no point in looking backwards),
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Monday, October 6, 2008
For some reason, September and October are important months in my family and my husband’s as well. Lots of birthdays, anniversaries and death dates in those two months. So in honor of all the October events, I’m putting up a couple of family photos today.
The first is a very fuzzy copy of an old cabinet card. The lady in the picture is my husband’s (maternal) great-grandmother, Louisa Matilda Kuentz (nicknamed “Lucy”) who was born October 6, 1869, in San Antonio TX. Her mother and father had both been born in Alsace Lorraine, France, and emigrated to this country in about 1850. Not easy to make out her features, but you can tell she must have spent quite a while with a curling iron.
The second photo has also deteriorated over time – I gave it a slight crop, but didn’t do a lot of retouching. It’s a snapshot of my grandparents shortly after they were married on October 8, 1918. My grandfather still has his WWI cavalry uniform on, so it must have been taken very soon after their wedding. He was born in Scranton PA, into a family that had only recently arrived from Wales. He was stationed in San Antonio during the war and met my grandmother there, and just stayed on after the fighting was over. Well, that’s not entirely true – there was a lot of fighting between the two of them after the war, too – but that’s another story.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Friday, October 3, 2008
TGIF! And this week, Janet has an autumnal theme for the Friday Fill-Ins. Here goes:
1. October is here! And I’m just not READY!!!
2. Alzheimer’s, cancer, cock roaches, hornets, rattlesnakes, tornadoes, religious fanatics, and teenage drivers with cell phones scare me!
3. Leaves are falling all around, it's time once again to be glad we live in an apartment.
4. My favorite horror
- The Shining,
- Rosemary’s Baby,
- The Uninvited (the one from 1944 with Ray Milland),
- The Haunting (the one from 1963 with Julie Harris),
- The Changeling (the one from 1980 with George C. Scott),
- The Innocents (the one from 1961 with Deborah Kerr),
- The Birds,
- What Lies Beneath,
5. San Antonio TX ca. 1965 + warm summer nights + the Beatles on the car radio = good memories.
6. It was a dark and stormy night when I was born (at least that’s what I’m told).
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to possibly watching a DVD from Netflix – I think we’ve got “Wild Hogs” this week, tomorrow my plans include shopping, maybe getting a haircut, and re-potting some plants, and Sunday, I want to start putting away all my summer clothes, try to make a dent in that mountain of laundry, and of course get some reading done!