Saturday, August 4, 2018

Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend


The Saturday 9  meme is hosted by Sam Winters. Nine questions posted every Saturday — sometimes random, sometimes with a theme. This week, the theme is...



"Along Comes A Friend"
Theme from KATE & ALLIE (1984)



1. This week's song is the theme from Kate and Allie, a sitcom that ran from 1984 to 1989. Were you a fan?
I was. Watched it every week. I've always been a fan of Jane Curtin, and I like Susan St. James, too.
2. The show was about two divorced women who live and raise their children together. Were you ever a single parent? Were you raised by a single parent?
I was never any kind of parent (no kids -- just pets). I guess my mother was technically a single parent after my father died when I was ten. But we moved in with my grandparents, so she didn't have to go it alone. Of course, I was a perfect angel, so I didn't need a lot of tending. 
3. Allie is proud that she can make a perfect cup of coffee: "Just the essence of the bean. No acidity." Kate is proud that she can belch the alphabet. What are you proud of?
Well, I've never been in jail. That's a feather in my cap, right?
4. Kate and Allie share half of a duplex in Greenwich Village. Many episodes had them doing laundry in the basement. Where are your washer and dryer?
In this house, we have a dedicated laundry room which is absolutely wonderful. Before this place, we lived in an apartment with the washer/dryer in the kitchen and that was absolutely awful. But it was certainly much better than having them in the basement (been there, too). 
5. Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the "wife" in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan?
Rock Hudson. Another one of my favorite shows back then.
6. Allie was played by Jane Curtin. She was one of three women in the original Saturday Night Live cast. Without looking it up, can you name the other two?
Gilda Radner and Laraine Newman. Another favorite show. But I sort of lost interest in it after that original cast started leaving. 
7. On the set, Jane Curtin ran a poker game for the cast and crew. Do you think winning at poker takes more luck or skill?
Probably a mix of both, but I think skill is definitely involved. I've never been able to play poker -- can't remember all the different categories ( or hands?). I used to play a mean game of gin rummy, but I haven't played in years. 
8. The Kate & Allie theme was cowritten and sung by John Lefler. Years later, Mr. Lefler wrote the theme for the Pokemon show. Is anyone in your life into Pokemon?
No. Well, not that I know of, anyway. I never really understood exactly what Pokemon was. Still don't.
9. Random question: What's the last thing you whispered?
I honestly can't remember. I mumble a lot, but I don't do much whispering.

Happy Saturday, everyone!
Have a great weekend.

For more Saturday 9 Q&A, just click on this button:


6 comments:

  1. #3 -- Good for you! :)

    #6 -- I think the original cast was best. Although I bet every generation thinks "their" SNL cast is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. I'm right with you on #3. And yes, you deserve a feather in your cap. Lol! And on #4. Washing machines in the kitchen are pretty horrid. This place qualified as a Tiny House, when we bought it. Now it's still smaller than most but the machines got their own room. So Fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about SNL. There have been a few bright stars after the original cast (Eddie Murphy, Dana Garvey, etc.) but that original crew was really funny. I watch it every now and then these days and I'm always disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My washing machine is in the kitchen, too. That is where it will stay, I'm sure. After 30 years one sort of learns to live with things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I slug my laundry to the laundromat about a mile away. The benefit is that I can do multiple loads at once, so I'm finished in short time.

    #3 made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a washer and dryer unit in an apartment is really a toss up. Laundry is really such a pain when you live in an apartment yet, they do take up a lot of space.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!