Thursday, December 17, 2009

VTT and Holidailies: Vintage Cards, Part 1

Vintage Thingies Thursday is hosted by Suzanne at Coloradolady, and as she says, "Thursday is the day to showcase your vintage treasures and to share your special things with everyone." Please visit her blog to find out more about VTT or to participate yourself.

I know, I know. It's almost not Thursday anymore. My only excuse is that all the Christmas-ing has got me forgetting what day of the week it is.

I've always collected greeting cards. I've even got the cards and gift enclosures that were sent to my mother when I was born! OK - I didn't actually collect those; she did. But I've always loved cards. When I was a pre-schooler, one of my favorite games was playing with my mother's collection of old greeting cards and gift tags. She kept them in shoe boxes. And hat boxes. Big hat boxes. So I guess it must be an inherited trait.

My aunt used to save Christmas cards, too. Some of my collection came from her. Some of the ones she particularly liked, she would frame and hang around her various apartments. Like these:



But today, I wanted to show a few of the vintage Scottie cards in my collection. Most of these are even older than I am - the Scottie cards were popular in the 1930s and '40s, I suppose because of the popularity of President Roosevelt and his pet Scottie Fala. Here's a sampling (click on photos to enlarge):








9 comments:

  1. Your scotties are gorgeous. They're all cute but the "Hello" one is my favorite.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your Scottie cards. the first one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, I love your cards. I wish I could say I have a favorite, but I love them all. The sweet expressions on their little faces is just so cute. Happy VTT..have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these cards with the dogs, I keep cards too, and wish I had saved far more than I have....great post today, loved the vintage cards. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any collections.

    I think it's awesome that you have carried on the tradition of collecting Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember cards just like that!!!!

    I remember selling them during various school fundraisers.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your Scottie cards. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful collection of Scotty cards!
    The Hey Scotty card is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the praying hands card although I don't think I knew it was a card. Love the scotties -- I guess when we were little kittens were the thing -- I have several old kitten cards. Very nice collection.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!