Monday, August 30, 2010

Blue Monday: August Blues

Blue Monday is hosted weekly by Smiling Sally.
To see more offerings, or to participate yourself,
please head on over to her blog.


(Click on photos to enlarge.)
Well, as I've said before, I'm running out of blue stuff around this place. And this may be my lamest Blue Monday post yet: the August page from my kitchen calendar. Because August is on its way outta here, and I just don't really want to believe summer is almost gone! And the calendar does have lots of blue on it – all that blue sky and water making such a nice background for those cute Kliban kitties. And even the refrigerator magnets holding it up have touches of blue.

This calendar doesn't usually hang on the front of the fridge – I had to move it to take the photos. The little Pennsylvania Dutch-style magnet hook holding the calendar belonged to my mother. I know it looks sort of green in the photos, but it's actually a nice 1970s shade of turquoise.

Also looks like it's taken quite a beating over the years.

My mother had dozens of these refrigerator magnets at one time, but when she relocated from San Antonio to Fort Worth late in life, she only took a few with her. So I suppose this one could have had some sort of sentimental meaning to her, but I don't know what that might have been. Or maybe it just got thrown into one of the packing crates at the last minute, for no particular reason. Strange, isn't it, how many silly things you suddenly realize you'd like to ask your parents after they're gone?

9 comments:

  1. To have a cat's life-and more time-the days are flying by-almost the end of summer-I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lazy cats..love them
    Happy Blue Monday, the Kind of Blue that I like! My Blue Monday Link for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blue Monday
    That is a very cute picture on your fridge calendar and very worthy of sharing with us...cute magnet. Yes...wouldn't it be nice to know the history of things that you can't know but only think and wonder about.

    At least you have and it can decide upon how it came to be...*s*..

    have a wonderful Blue Monday.
    Judi

    it was so nice to have you visit...do come by again..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is no longer living, and each item I have that was hers becomes more precious by the day.

    Happy Blue Monday, Joy! Check out my book giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the simple things make for a better showing than something big. I enjoyed your post today and that was neat idea using your calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't call this Blue Monday post 'lame' at all. I thought the idea was to find blue even when it isn't expected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute calendar and I love the magnet. Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!