Monday, June 30, 2008

Random Photo Monday: Picnic with Ms. Palmer


For today's Random Photo Monday offering, I'm putting up a shot of my great-grandmother taken around 1920. I'm not sure where this was taken – somewhere in central Texas, probably around Bandera or Blanco. Or possibly in a park in San Antonio.

The original snapshot is tiny, and quite scratched and torn. I've tried to clean it up a little, but it's still not a very clear image, I'm afraid.

Great-granny Palmer is the lady on the left, unregenerately smoking a cigarette and wearing a man's hat. The man whose hat she's wearing might have been the one taking the photo. It's a pretty good bet there was a man around, because she went through several husbands and one or two "friends" in her relatively short lifetime. She died of cancer in June 1936, at age 52.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I have never really known what to think about G/Granny Palmer. In MOST of her pics she seems to be rather staid, yet her history says something else! This picture shows a sense of humor that I don't really identify with her. Actually, all I really know of her is what your mother used to say because she was around her much more than my mother was and I know your mother adored her! I wish we could have known her and heard her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful photo! What a treasure to get a glimpse of your great-grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. boyett-brinkley--
    I think she may have been (as M. always says) quite a handful. Possibly that's part of the reason our grandmother was a bit straight-laced much of the time.

    literatehousewife--
    Yes, I feel really fortunate to have the few photos I do. Wish I didn't have so many with unidentified people in them!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!