Saturday, June 30, 2018

Saturday 9: Back in the USA


The Saturday 9  meme is hosted by Sam Winters. Nine questions posted every Saturday — sometimes random, sometimes with a theme. This week, the theme is...


"Back in the USA"
by Linda Ronstadt (1978)



1. This song lists seven cities — New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis — that Linda just loves. How many have you visited?
I've been to New York lots of times, lived in Chicago for a year, driven through Chattanooga (I think), had several airline layovers in L.A. Never been to Detroit or St. Louis, or Baton Rouge (which is kind of a shame, since I lived in Louisiana for almost ten years). 
2. The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger?
It's been so long since I actually had a hamburger, I'd probably accept just about any toppings if you'd bring me one right now. Extra pickles, please. No mayo.
3. The original recording of this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang?
For some reason, I woke up this morning singing "I'm Alabamy Bound." ???  I have absolutely no clue as to why. Didn't even know I knew it. It's such an old song — even older than I am, so I doubt I heard it anywhere lately. But Ray Charles used to do a nice version of it, so maybe I heard it on TV or the radio or something. Alabama is one more place I've never been and I have no plans to go there. So....?
4. Linda sang The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season?
I don't really follow baseball (too many games in a season), so I don't have a team. But if the Astros or the Rangers make it to the playoffs, I usually watch some of the games. When I was a child, my grandmother used to watch baseball on TV just about everyday during the season (especially the Brooklyn/L.A. Dodgers, for some reason), so I saw a lot of games. But I never really became a fan.

Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions about the holiday.

5. During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits on Independence Day?
Probably. I'm not really a big drinker, but we're having a July 4th reunion with some of the "kids" we went to high school and college with (all now in their 60s/70s), so I'm sure I'll be having a drink or two. 
6. The first man to sign the Declaration of Independence, John Hancock, said he wrote his name so large King George could see it, even without his glasses. Do you require glasses for reading?
I require glasses for everything. 
7. Since July 4 is a federal holiday, banks are closed and there's no mail delivery. Thanks to email and ATMs, Sam finds going without those services isn't a hardship. What about you? Will you find it inconvenient that banks and the USPS are closed on July 4?
Well, not exactly inconvenient. Not concerned about the bank closures — haven't been inside a bank in at least ten years. But since we retired and moved away from the big city, getting the daily mail delivery is a big part of our routine. So we miss it when it doesn't happen. We really need more excitement around here.
8. The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01 AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th?
No parades — the Hubby hates parades. Actually, it's looking like our community July 4th activities might get rained out this year. But if they do have any of the annual fireworks displays in the area, we'll be able to see them from our front porch. 
9. More and more Americans celebrate our nation's holiday by eating foods from Italy and Germany. For the July 4, 2016 holiday, more than $50 million was spent on Italian sausage and bratwurst. What's on your 4th of July menu?
This year, we're keeping it vegetarian and at least partially gluten-free. So no sausages or wursts of any kind. (Bummer.) Generally, when the Hubs and I are on our own for the 4th, we have hotdogs (sometimes brats) with mustard, relish and sauerkraut, and baked beans on the side. Gosh, I'm getting so hungry!


Happy Saturday, everyone!
Have a great weekend.
And for all of you in the USA, Happy Independence Day!

For more Saturday 9 Q&A, just click on this button:


7 comments:

  1. Aren't baked beans the best? They just taste like "summer" to me. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good hot dog but lately they haven't loved me back so I've stopped eating them. Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived way out in the boonies and understand completely how "exciting" the mail delivery can be. My husband doesn't really like parades, either, but he does love taking the grandkids, which we've only managed to do once so far with the older ones. I'd hoped to take the youngest this year, but hubby just had knee surgery last week so really shouldn't hike the distance from where we'd have to park to the parade route. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish I liked pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each Fourth I dig out my grandmother's recipe for baked beans, which uses Navy beans and you have to soak them overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a pickle person too. I like that extra pickle idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes movie tracts have songs in them that a brain can latch on to. I wonder???? Intriguing, that song of yours..
    I always wanted extra pickles too.
    Watching fireworks from the front porch sounds very nice.
    Have a happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!