Saturday, July 15, 2017

Saturday 9: I Will Never Let You Down


The Saturday 9  is hosted by Sam Winters. Nine questions posted every Saturday — sometimes random, sometimes with a theme. This week, the theme is...


"I Will Never Let You Down" by Fastball

Listen to it HERE.

I had never heard of this song before this week's Saturday 9 introduced me to Fastball. A little embarrassing, since I live very near Austin. But the last time I really paid attention to the Austin music scene, Willy Nelson had just left Nashville and moved back to Texas and settled in Austin. So that would have been...? Maybe 1972? I'm a little behind the times.

1. Fastball is a trio from Austin, Texas. Austin is the capital of Texas. When you were in school, did you have to memorize the state capitals?
Yes, I did. We learned all the European capitals too. Wish I could remember them all now. Of course, these days I could just Google that.
2. Have you ever visited your state's capital?
Austin? I lived there back in the 1960s and '70s, and now live just west of the city.
3. Fastball played dates throughout Canada this past spring. When did you last leave the US of A?
Wow, it's been a VERY long time. It was the summer of 1985 — we spent part of the summer in England. Actually, we recently got our passports renewed, so we're sort of hoping to find a reason for using them soon. Maybe a return trip to England. And I've always wanted to see Italy. But I'm not so sure Americans are all that welcome in Europe these days.
4. Tony Scalzo is a founding member of Fastball. He's the singer in the video for this song, and that's his wife, Jennifer, playing the organizer of the speed-dating event. Have you ever gotten a job because you knew somebody?
Yes, back when I was a teenager my aunt got me some summer jobs at the department store where she worked as a buyer/department manager.
5. In this pitch to a perspective lover, he admits he doesn't have much money. Last time you went to the ATM, how much did you withdraw?
Whenever we need cash, the hubby usually gets it — so I haven't been to an ATM in a long time. Don't remember how much I withdrew.
6. He sings that at times, his mind is hazy. Do you have a good memory for names?
Not always. Some names are easier to remember than others.
7. Fastball guitarist Miles Zuniga admits that he once had a crush on Carrie Fisher (aka Princess Leia). Tell us about one of your one-sided love affairs, either with a celebrity or someone you knew in real life.
I was once deeply in love with Elvis Presley. Unfortunately, I never got to meet him. Also, I was only nine or ten at the time. By the time I was old enough to date, Elvis had found Priscilla. So the relationship never had a chance.
8. Fastball's drummer Joey Shuffield is partial to drums from Pork Pie Percussion. This company was started by Bill Detamore, who began making drums as a hobby. Do you have any hobbies that, under the right circumstances, could make you money?
I've got a lot of hobbies, but I really doubt any of them are money-makers. Just money spenders.
9. The fast ball is the most common pitch in major league baseball. Now that the MLB season is past the halfway mark, how is your baseball team doing?
I don't really pay very close attention to baseball until the playoffs get going. Then, if one of the Texas teams is in the running, I might watch a few games. I used to be a baseball fan when I was a kid — my grandmother watched it all season, and I would see a lot of the games that way. But as an adult, I've sort of lost interest. We watch so much basketball and football (and tennis) around our house, we really don't need another sport to take up our time. Especially not one that involves so many games — so many SLOW games.

Happy Saturday, everyone!
And have a great weekend.

For more Saturday 9 Q&A, just click on this button:


6 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of Fastball either, but I love this song so thanks to Smellyann!

    Sorry about you and Elvis. He doesn't know what he missed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Fastball had something to do with baseball but I guess that it's a band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me wondering what Elvis would look like if he were alive today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you missed out on Elvis, too. He was very handsome when he was young. I was 12 when he died. I remember we were on vacation, driving to California from VA and my father was flipping the radio, trying to find something to listen to when we were in Kansas or someplace flat like that, and the station announcer said Elvis had died. My father almost wrecked the van.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cross the border often--I'm along the Canadian border!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My DH gets most of the money from the ATM now. Happily he shares.

    Elvis would have liked you. He really was a very nice guy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!