Saturday, July 1, 2017

Saturday 9: Yankee Doodle Dandy


The Saturday 9  is hosted by Sam Winters. Nine questions posted every Saturday — sometimes random, sometimes with a theme. This week, the theme is...


"Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942)

 You can see James Cagney's famous performance of this week's song HERE.
It's always been one of my favorite old movies, and I always loved James Cagney. He reminded me of my grandfather, although PaPa didn't dance. (But he could sing!)

1. This week's song was performed by James Cagney in the famous movie of the same name. Do you plan on going to the movies this holiday weekend?
Don't plan to. It could happen, but I'd say it's a long-shot. But it's very possible we might stream a movie or watch a DVD. These days, we don't go out to movies very often. The closest movie theater is about 45 minutes away, and I really prefer watching movies here at home.
2. Though known for his larger-than-life screen presence, Cagney was only 5'5". How tall are you?
I've been 5'4" since I was twelve years old.
3. During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits this holiday weekend?
Maybe not, in the strict sense of the word. I'm pretty sure alcohol of some sort will be consumed, though.
4. American history was one of Crazy Sam's best subjects in school. Science was her worst. In which class did you earn your worst grades?
Worst grades? Algebra and geometry. I made a "D" in my first attempt at high school geometry. Took the class over to clean up my record, and discovered I actually loved the subject. What a difference a great teacher can make!
5. The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen?
That's interesting. I always think of the 4th of July as being just the beginning of summer. (Probably because, here in Texas, it's gonna be many months before the heat lets up.) I'm pretty careful about sunscreen, if I know I'm going to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes. But I don't always apply it if I'm just running errands or going in and out. 
6. Mosquito bites can be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now?
I'm allergic to just about everything outdoors. I'm always scratching some kind of itch.
7. Emergency rooms report an increase in wrist injuries in summer, with people falling off bikes and skateboards and jamming their wrists catching hard-hit softballs. Have you recently been to the ER or Urgent Care?
No, I have not. Thank whatever gods may be.
8. New York is home to Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest every year on the 4th. Will hot dogs be consumed in your household this weekend?
I certainly hope so! But no eating contests, please.
9. Atlanta hosts a 10K Peachtree Road Race every 4th of July. Are you a runner?
Not anymore. There was a time when I used to run and jog for exercise, although I never officially entered a race. But my knees and hips won't take that kind of action now, so I walk and do yoga and some aerobic exercises. No running.


Happy Saturday, everyone!
And Happy 4th of July!
And have a fun, safe weekend.

For more Saturday 9 Q&A, just click on this button:



7 comments:

  1. Your answer to #4 is intriguing. I wonder if I'd be better at math if I'd had a better teacher or if (as I suspect) I'm just not wired to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math is my academic weak spot. Although, when I got to college it just came to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What a difference a great teacher can make!"
    So true.I used to be bored in class but a good teacher can make it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a long drive to go to see a movie. I like watching at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am allergic to everything outside, so I just don't go outside much. Makes living on a farm a bit difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do the same sorts of exercise. I just can't run or jog anymore as I used to. Damn joints and age! Have a fun 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My great teachers kept me alive. I'm so grateful to teachers.
    And I like staying at home and watching movies. You can hit the pause button when you need it, for one big advantage.
    Good luck with allergies. They are h3ll sometimes. Most of the time actually.
    Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Joysweb! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. I do usually moderate comments on posts that are more than a few days old, and comments with suspicious links will not be approved.

Also, please note that while I appreciate blog awards, I never play award tag games. I think you all deserve awards!